Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Chopsticks and Ocean View

Slow. Everything is very slow down here because no one has any sense of urgency. This is why I still don’t have the internet, and why it takes forever to get around using public transportation. However, this is easy to get used to. I’ve been doing a lot of exploring, and meeting a million people. Everyone has the same mindset, so it’s commonplace to talk to everyone you see and get to know each other. I live in basically a five bedroom apartment but only one person has moved in. A 26-year old South Korean who is more of a ghost since I’ve only met him once. He’s slightly messy so I’m going to have to figure out how you say take your chopsticks out of the sink in Korean.

Drank a bottle of chardonnay last night, made some pasta and took the train downtown. As I was walking to the train I ran into a heard of probably 200 students. They we’re a big group from another dorm, so immediately you start meeting everyone. The dorm had paid for all their train tickets, so luckily I was able to also get a free ride. After the ride into town I split from the group and went to a hostel where my friend from home was staying. He introduced me to all the people he had met at the hostel, and we all went out together. It was a lot of fun, especially with a lot of people I didn’t know, but unfortunately the price of alcohol is just terrible. But, whatever, no worries. I ended up crashing on a loveseat, with my friend Phil on the couch next to me. He is basically homeless because it is impossible to find a place to rent, so all these American students are stuck in town with nowhere to live (and the hostels are filled). The apartment we stayed at had a beautiful ocean view, very nice. The weather finally contained no rain today which is how I’m hoping it will stay. Have an International House barbeque tonight, and from there who knows where the night will take me, always an adventure down under.

No comments: