Wednesday, February 6, 2008

To LAX and Beyond

Accompanied by a George Clooney movie, Michael Clayton, and a school teacher from Baltimore on her way to New Zealand, I was on the first leg of a long journey that would lead me to a new land. I was alarmed by news late last night, that my flight had been canceled, meaning that I needed to try and get out of O'Hare as soon as possible, and earlier than originally planned. The impending snowstorm could have hurt any chance of making my 10:30pm flight out of LAX on route to Sydney. Luckily, I'm in the air headed to Los Angeles, and one more flight to paradise.

When I decided to do this trip I was in a somewhat different state of mind, with an eagerness for change. I'm the type of person who, even if I can't do something, I act as though I am strong-willed enough and able to take on any task. Even to accomplish it with ease. I do usually take a task on and complete it well, but I can't hide how unbelievable this particular event is going to be . No matter how much I try, there is no doubt that this mission of leaving everything I have known for the last 21 years, and only 21 years of my life, is going to be hard. I will miss home, I will miss my friends, I will miss my girlfriend, I will miss Iowa City, and I will miss Park Ridge. Because, this is all I've ever known. Now it's time to get moving on life, because the years are getting shorter and time is in less of an abundance, and I have sure as hell a lot of work to do if I'm going to end up changing the world. In the words of Outkast, "spaceships, don't come equipped with rearview mirrors."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Max,
You are so cute!! We are very excited for you and look forward to following your progress. Best of luck on your once in a lifetime adventure!! We are extremely jealous!!
xox
Pete and Dude

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
akramer2 said...

Hi Max,
I set up a google account just so I could talk to you...how lucky you are. Everything in the states is pretty much routine. I can't believe you had to take an earlier flight. I called you to say goodbye and must have just missed you. On Friday the bulls won a game and were actually in 8th place(playoff worthy) for one day. Now they are back to 12th place (I think). You probably know that, but I am not really sure the type of information you have been checking up on. Anyway keep us posted on your adventures. Hopefully you can give that China girl a run for her money and do some crazy australia dance and become an instant celebrity overseas. Love you!
-Lex
P.S. Is in innapropriate to write this much? I am not sure how a blog works. If it is let me know and I will write emails instead.
xoxoxo!